source The final preparations have been done; Gaddafi Stadium is all set to welcome the World XI squad. The iconic stadium is undergoing makeover for the three match series between Pakistan and the ICC World XI which is scheduled on September 12th, 13th and 15th.
follow url The stadium in Lahore will be adorned ahead of the opening match of the series. Here are some interesting facts about the historic stadium you must know before the first swing is delivered.
- The gorgeous stadium was designed by famous architect and engineer Nasreddin Murat Khan and constructed by Mian Abdul Khaliq and Company in 1959.
- Gaddafi Stadium was originally known as Lahore Stadium. It was renamed upon the visit of late Libyan president Muammar Gaddafi in 1974.
- The Stadium was completely renovated in 1995, for the Final match of World Cup 1996. It is Pakistan’s only cricket ground to have hosted Cricket World Cup final.
- Initially, the stadium had the capacity to accommodate around 60,000 cricket fans, but after the renovation carried out for 1996 World Cup the concrete seating arrangements were replaced with plastic seating, and now it has the capacity to accommodate 24,000 spectators.
- Gaddafi Stadium is the first cricket Stadium in Pakistan where modern flood lights have been installed.
- Gaddafi Stadium also hosts Pakistan National Cricket Academy. This academy has produced some of the finest test and one-day cricketers like Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, the Asian Bradman – Zaheer Abbas, Aqib Javed and of course, legendary Javed Miandad in Pakistan’s cricket history.
- First ODI match was played on January 13, 1978, between Pakistan and England – Pakistan won by 36 runs
- Highest total in ODI is 327 made by England against Pakistan in this stadium – England won the match by 42 runs
- Highest team total is 699 made by Pakistan against India in 1989 test match. The match ended in a draw.
- Most runs scored by an individual in ODI matches on this ground is 369 with an average of 63.90 by Inzamam-ul-Haq. His highest at this stadium is 123 against India. Inzamam’s Strike rate is 90.13 here. He has scored 3 fifties and a century here. He has played 17 matches and played 14 innings, out of these he walked not out 4 times.
- Wasim Akram has taken the most wickets on this ground. He has taken 23 wickets in 18 ODIs giving 621 runs. His best bowling figure on this ground was 4/33 and RPO 4.43 with an average of 27.00.
- Total matches: 2
- Matches won bowling first 2
- Average 1st Inns scores 173
- Average 2nd Inns scores 174
- Highest total recorded 176/8 (19.4 Ov) by Pak vs ZIM
- Highest score chased 176/8 (19.4 Ov) by Pak vs ZIM