The 2017 U.S. Women’s Open Golf Championship will be the 72nd U.S. Women’s Open, scheduled for July 13–17 at Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, New Jersey.
The U.S. Women’s Open is the oldest of the five current major championships and the third of the 2017 season. It has the largest purse in women’s golf, increased to $5 million in 2017. The tournament will be televised on DSPORT.
This week at the U.S. Women’s 156 players will compete for the country’s national championship. This includes 19 of the top-20 players in the Rolex Rankings competing for the season’s third major title. The field’s 156 players were drawn from more than 1,700 entries and qualifiers.
The top women golfers contesting for the 2017 Championship:
- World No. 1 So Yeon Ryu headlines the field. The 2011 U.S. Women’s Open champion is one of 10 former champions who are competing this week.
- Rolex Rankings’ No. 2 Ariya Jutanugarn is also in the field as she looks to pick up her second major title after winning the Ricoh Women’s British Open last season.
- 3 Lexi Thompson is the top-ranked American in the field looking to win her country’s national championship for the first time.
- Former world No. 1 Lydia Ko, currently No. 4 in the standings, is searching for her first win of the 2017 season. 2015 U.S. Women’s Open champion In Gee Chun rounds out the top-5 in the field.
- Last year’s champion Brittany Lang will be looking to defend her title again this time at Trump National Golf Club.
Last season, Brittany Lang defeated Anna Nordqvist in a three-hole aggregate playoff to capture her first major title at the U.S. Women’s Open at CordeValle. Lang came from two-strokes back of 54-hole leader Lydia Ko to match Nordqvist at six-under par. She missed the cut in her last start at the KPMG Women’s PGA Championship and this week is looking to crack the top-10 for the first time this season.
For the final field line-up click here