The golf season’s final major PGA Championship is all set to tee-off at Quail Hollow Club in Charlotte, North Carolina. It’s the last chance to win a major championship for golfing greats as the 99th PGA Championship marks the end of the major season.
For the first time in its history, Quail Hollow Club, in Charlotte, N.C., will play host to the PGA Championship. After years of hosting the Wells Fargo Championship — one of the most popular non-major events on the PGA Tour — Charlotte’s Quail Hollow Club were announced as 2017’s PGA Championship host in 2010.
As the PGA Championship marks the season’s finale, everything has been super-sized at the event, from the crowds – to the number of star players – to remodelling of the course. The PGA is expected to draw more than 200,000 robust crowds during the week.
To host the final major and to improve the spectator’s experience, the course went through a significant makeover; it closed last summer to include adding Bermuda grass to the greens and rough in preparation for the 2017 PGA Championship. Nearly 1,000 trees were cleared to expand vantage points along the course.
During last summer, the Quail Hollow crew — including designer Tom Fazio — turned the course into a challenging venue fit for a major. The first hole is redesigned, as are the fourth and fifth. The ninth and 11th holes were altered too.
binaire opties hoe Some interesting facts about the Quail Hollow Club
- Quail Hollow Club is a private member club, founded by James J. Harris on April 13, 1959.
- The course was designed by famous architect George Cobb to capture the beauty as well as a challenging terrain of the Piedmont region.
- The club hosted the Kemper Open on the PGA Tour from 1969 through 1979, and the senior tour’s PaineWebber Invitational from 1983 through 1989.
- The PGA Tour returned to Quail Hollow in 2003 with the Wachovia Championship, now the Wells Fargo Championship.
- The 99th PGA Championship is scheduled to take place at the Quail Hollow Club, from August 10-13, 2017.
forex hedge company sp. z o.o Significant changes at the Quail Hollow for the 99th PGA Championship
- New Bermuda, a type of grass called Champion Ultradwarf Bermudagrass has been installed on the greens at Quail Hollow.
- 18 greens have been resodded and a few holes completely replaced.
- The course will have a more open feel, as close to 1,000 trees were removed as part of the remodelling.
- Four new holes: The first and second holes meshed into a single hole, a 540-yard par 4. The fifth hole was changed from a par 5 to a par 4. A new second hole was built, a par 3. The 11th was given extra bunkering. This is an oddity, for sure, but not much has changed in terms of the actual landscaping of the track.