Teams: Portland Timbers vs. San Jose Earthquakes
Kick-off: 08:30 AM, Providence Park – Portland, Ore.
Where to Watch: Catch live action on DSport, this Saturday
Last Game Played: May 7, 2017; SJ 3 – 0 POR
Season Goal leaders: Portland Timbers – Diego Valeri (6 goals), San Jose Earthquakes – Chris Wondolowski (6 goals)
On Saturday, Portland Timbers will host the San Jose Earthquakes at Providence Park. The match kicks off at 08:30am on Saturday and will be televised live on DSport.
Portland’s current rough stretch, which truly began with a 3-0 loss at San Jose on May 6, has been defined by a lack of production in the attack. The Timbers have scored just two goals in their last four games, getting shutout by the Quakes and at Seattle last weekend.
Other than their two legitimate penalty shouts, Portland struggled in the attack on Saturday at Seattle. The absence of the suspended Diego Chara and the early injury substitution to David Guzman caused the Timbers some difficulty in linking the backline with the attack. That’s where Fanendo Adi, Diego Valeri and Sebastian Blanco – who were visibly upset after getting subbed off in the second half – struggled to make any notable impact.
Those three will need to step up on Saturday for the Timbers to snap their winless skid, especially without influential midfielder Darlington Nagbe, who will miss the match while on duty with the US men’s national team.
San Jose have endured a bit of a roller coaster start to 2017. The Quakes have had trouble stringing together positive results, going 1-2-1 in their four matches since downing the Timbers 3-0 at Avaya Stadium. Their last two matches were a particularly stark contrast, with San Jose handing Dallas their first loss of the season at Toyota Stadium on May 20 before they were run ragged by the Galaxy at home on Saturday night.
- Suspended: None
- Int’l Duty: Darlington Nagbe (USA)
- Injury Report: OUT – D Gbenga Arokoyo (Achilles tear), D Chance Myers (hamstring), GK Jeff Attinella (hamstring)
- Projected Lineup (4-2-3-1): Jake Gleeson – Zarek Valentin, Liam Ridgewell, Roy Miller, Vytas – Diego Chara, TK – Sebastian Blanco, Diego Valeri, Dairon Asprilla – Fanendo Adi
San Jose Earthquakes
- Suspended: None
- Int’l Duty: Kip Colvey (New Zealand)
- Injury Report: OUT – F Quincy Amarikwa (knee surgery), D Marvell Wynne (heart abnormality), M Marc Pelosi (left knee), D Harold Cummings (leg surgery), M Shea Salinas (knee), D Shaun Francis (hamstring); QUESTIONABLE – M Anibal Godoy (hip injury), D/M Fatai Alashe (knee)
- Projected Lineup (4-3-3): David Bingham – Nick Lima, Florian Jungwirth, Victor Bernardez, Kofi Sarkodie – Darwin Ceren, Tommy Thompson, Jahmir Hyka – Chris Wondolowski, Marco Urena, Danny Hoesen
- Overall: San Jose 3 wins (19 goals), Portland 7 wins (24 goals), 7 draws
- At Portland: San Jose 0 wins (7 goals), Portland 6 wins (16 goals), 3 draws